Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Sunday, May 13, 2012

    "Burning Down the House" for Fun and Promo

    I missed the posting deadline for Six Sentence Sunday for the second week in a row. Bad blogger, that's me. By way of apology, I thought I'd offer a slightly longer excerpt from "Burning Down the House" from Hellfire Lounge 3: Jinn Rummy which will be launched at Balticon, May 25-28. I promise to share the date, time and details as soon as I learn them. Meanwhile, I hope you enjoy what happens after our poor protagonist Eddie Woodhouse sits in that big comfy chair:

    “Do you have the bottle?” he asked.

    A flash from the dance floor lit her eyes like an evil smile. She placed an empty absinthe bottle on the table.

    “May your next transfer run as smoothly as the one from your bank.” The blare of the music muted the scrape of her scimitar nails along the glass. “Are you sure you wouldn’t rather do this someplace more private?”

    “No.” The jinni inside him lashed his face. He couldn’t hide the bulge of their shared skin or his flinch of pain.

    The woman added teeth to her smile. “Your funeral. I trust you’ll be more careful where you stick your straw in the future.”

    Her exit line raised a different kind of welt, but he didn’t care as long as she left. Nobody paid any attention to a fat man in a club full of beautiful people. More importantly, the security cams and warding spells focused on the tables would keep her from trying anything more than what he paid for. He’d never been a contender in the magical department, but he never thought he’d sink so low that he’d owe his life to the sorcerous paranoia of Ducky “Duc d’Or”.

    Eddie’s teeth chattered against the glass as he closed his lips around the neck of the bottle and chanted the first of the thirty-one goetic evocations from The Secret Key of Solomon under his breath. The words didn’t always make sense, but he suspected the real spell lay in his mind’s desperate prayer: “Take this damned thing outta me and I’ll never do magic. I’ll never so much as make a wish. Never. Ever.”

    The words burned his throat. Never. The jinni swelled inside his lungs until he thought his ribs would explode. Ever.

    #

    What happens next? Well, you'll just have to read the story--or come to the launch--to find out.

    No comments: